EVG® PHABLE™ Innovative Patterning Principle
The EVG® PHABLE™ exposure system is designed specifically for the manufacturing of photonic components. Leveraging EVG's expertise in photolithography, the EVG PHABLE system incorporates a unique, contactless, mask-based lithography approach that enables full-field, high-resolution and cost-efficient micro- and nanopatterning. EVG PHABLE is unique in its ability to print regular patterns down to 150 nm in a single exposure step. Concurrently, the image depth can be extended to cover resists that are multiple microns thick without resolution deterioration while maintaining a mask-substrate separation gap of several tens of microns. This very high aerial image aspect ratio allows printing of the same high-resolution patterns onto large and highly warped surfaces.
EVG® PHABLE™ Features:
- Based on well-established photolithography infrastructure and supply chain
- High throughput of more than 50 wafers per hour
- Patterning of lines, hexagonal and square arrays
- Simple and robust process control
- Scalable to large areas up to 6"
- Very high depth of focus provides accurate printing in thick resists
- Insensitive to particles and total thickness variation
EVG® PHABLE™ Patterning Capabilities
- EVG PHABLE enables full-wafer, single-exposure printing of features in the range of 200 nm to about 2.5 µm.
- Since EVG PHABLE is a mask-based photolithography method, printing a different pattern simply requires a change of the mask.
- EVG PHABLE is applicable to both one-dimensional patterns, such as lines and spaces, and two-dimensional patterns, such as hexagonal or square lattices.
- EVG PHABLE offers a broad window of pattern size control. Resist pattern height adjustment is independent of the lithography process and simply controlled by resist thickness. A unique property of EVG PHABLE also enables lateral feature dimensions to be controlled and tailored within a wide range simply by changing the exposure dose.
EVG® PHABLE™ Non-Contact Lithography System (click to enlarge)
Photograph of a full-area 4" wafer patterned with PHABLE™
SEM images of photonic patterns printed with PHABLE: (a) lines and spaces with 125 nm half pitch, (b) square array with a 175 nm hole diameter and (c) hexagonal array with 260nm hole diameter.
Click to read our joint article "New Optical Lithography
Method for Advanced Light
Extraction in LEDs", published in LED professional Review, issue 37.