Solutions for Today's Coating Challenges
EVG® 120 Resist Processing Platform:
The EVG120 resist coating system is designed to enable a variety of coating applications. The extensive range of sophisticated features is accordingly matched to consistently perform uniform process results for both thin and thick resist coatings, packaging, planarization, underfilling and lining with dielectric polymers (e.g. BCB, polyimide), as well as for irregular shaped substrates, and severe topographies, such as V-grooves, mesas, etch cavities and through-holes. The EVG120 resist coating system is designed for reliable spin, spray coating and developing performance at high throughput rates with accordingly optimized features for use in volume production.
EVG® 120 SpinCoat Features:
- Spin chamber with encapsulated solvent atmosphere ensures uniform high-viscosity resist coating -
- Various dispense modes available (center, area and edge)
- Pre-wet function facilitates reduced resist consumption a
- CoverSpinTM eliminates parasitic turbulences during high-velocity substrate spinning in combination with the benefits of solvent-enriched atmosphere during the coat process
- Combination of spin coating with OmniSpray® coating in one process module
Spin coating has fundamental limitations with respect to device topography, material consumption, oversized and fragile substrates. The challenges involved with coating of fragile 3-D microstructures and severe topography steps, in particular, have fueled the need for alternative coating methods. Far from being a niche requirement, conformal coating of topography features with step heights of few microns up to several hundreds of microns is now ubiquitously present with the manufacturing of micro electro mechanical system (MEMS) , optical and biological micro electro mechanical systems (MOEMS and BioMEMS), compound semiconductor , and advanced packaging applications such as:
- Solar cells and flat panels
- Organic thin-films for OLEDs and displays
- Inkjet printer heads
- Read-and-write heads
- Acceleration and pressure sensors and waveguides
- Novel interconnect structures
- Air bridges
EVG® 120 Features Proprietary OmniSpray® Technology
In order to meet coating requirements for even extreme topographies, as well as overcoming inherent problems that are generated by challenges such as flow in cavities and surface tension effects at edges, EVG has introduced its proprietary OmniSpray® technology . This advanced spray coating technique enables deposition of photoresist films with unmatched uniformity on all commonly found 3-D microstructures such as steep sidewalls and sharp topography edges, deep trenches with aspect ratios of up to 1:7, 90° corners, KOH etched cavities, V-grooves and optical lenses.
The EVG® 120 resist processing systems can be equipped with OmniSpray® Technology offering advantages like:
- Programmable photo resist coating
- Double side photo resist coating
- Ultrasonic atomizing nozzle
- Automatic cleaning cycles
- Adjustable nozzle position
- Spin/spray combination
- Exhaust flow controller
- Fully integrated coat-bake-chill cassette-to-cassette operation
Overcoming the limitations for uniform topography coating also facilitates the deposition of high-resolution resist films on different 3-D microstructures. This in turn enables the manufacture of ever smaller and advanced IC structures as well as the transition from two-dimensional (2D) packaging to more advanced 3D packaging techniques with innovative integration technologies for multiple stacked layers. The transition to 3D-integrated circuits (3D-IC) is considered to be a major development in the semiconductor industry that will pave the way for the concept of "More than Moore" requiring only small additional investments to the existing semiconductor manufacturing infrastructure.
EVG® 120 OmniSpray® Features:
- Wide process window for unmatched flexibility in advanced coating applications
- Adjustable rheological properties optimize resist adhesion and flow at the surface
- Pressureless ultrasonic atomization nozzles for spray generating
- Soft, low-velocity fine mist spray with very low impact velocity
- Constant fluid droplet size delivers accurate coatings
- Layer thickness range from 100 nm to 100 µm
- Dispense rate programmable independent from other parameters
- Accurate dispense rate control assures wafer-to-wafer uniformity
- Nitrogen pressure for spray cone shaping programmable
The major advantage for customers offered by the EVG120 resist processing system is the opportunity to choose from various combinations of features, such as multiple spray beam shapes and several areal dispense techniques. Depending on the intended application, be it deposition of photoresists for microlithographic processing of semiconductor wafers, passivation of topographic features with polymeric dielectric materials, functionalization of bio-interactive structures with high topography or even highly resistant inorganic coatings for large glass panels, we at EVG can provide you with the ideal equipment.
Click here to read our recent publication on
"SPRAY COATING FUNDAMENTALS"
Resist Processing Platform
(click to enlarge)
Download EVG120 News Sheet
Download EVG120 press release
EVG120 Develop Module
EVG120 Bake Module and Robot
Spin Coat Module
High-Q-3D solenoid industors for RF ICs.
Courtesy of SIMIT.
Patterned, spray coated resist layer in anisotropically etched cavity. Courtesy of TU-Delft DIMES.